November 14th, 2011 marked the 11th anniversary of my brother Ron's death from suicide. So often when I think of Ron, I want to call him on the phone, or arrange to meet him in the West Village for lunch. It only takes a minute to realize my mistake but even after all these years, I am still taken aback by the permanence of my brother's final decision.
Ron loved Thanksgiving and was a champion of family tradition. He went way out of his way to make sure the family got together for the holidays. He would drive to Brooklyn from Manhattan where he picked up my aging mother and my brother, then drive over the Verrazano through Staten Island over the Goethals Bridge to Rahway New Jersey where he picked up my Uncle Ziggy.
With two cranky septuagenarians and one demanding and childlike adult (my brother Leon) in tow, he would brave his way north to Woodstock to visit me and my little family. In spite of the fact that I would have prepared a multi course feast including an ample array of appetizers, my brother's passengers could not possibly make the 2 hour "schlepp" to the "country" without a stop at a diner where they could select something familiar, processed and "sustaining" from the 25 page menu.
Sooner, or usually later, they would arrive, nicely sated, shaking their heads at the incredible distance they had just traveled, and wondering why it is so cold "upstate" and how we could possibly see anything without street lights. Uncle Ziggy would proudly hand me a plastic bag containing either individually wrapped mints with the name "Sizzler Steakhouse" printed on them or a few hundred packets of Sweet and Low he had nabbed from the diners he had visited over the last months.
Eventually, as their appetites returned, they would pick at the appetizers, marvel at the starry sky, and then we would have dinner. They were always grateful and happy and a little bit surprised that this "healthy" food actually tasted good. And it was good, even great to have us all together. My dear brother Ron made it happen.
I miss my brother all the time but on this sad anniversary, I miss him more. Family was important to him in spite of the fact that our broken family provided few warm and fuzzy memories. He was the family glue, and without him, our dwindling ranks have scattered.
I always feel a little sad that I don't have any tradition for remembering my lost family, like lighting a candle or something like that. So on this day, I want to dedicate this Thanksgiving menu and all the effort I put into creating this year's feast to Ron whose sweetness, intelligence, anger and love live on inside me.
Luscious Vegan Seasonal Thanksgiving 2011
Caponata w/Crostini
Roasted Garlic Cloves
Crudite
Maple toasted Walnuts andCashews
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup w/Cashew Crema
Savory Vegetable Strudel w/ Wild Mushroom Sauce
Sofrito Apple Cornbread Stuffing
Maple glazed Brussel Sprouts w/Toasted Hazelnuts
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans w/ Shallot Crispies
Ginger Spiced Cranberry relish w/Apricot and Apple
Pumpkin Cheesecake w/Pecan Crust
I have to admit that the American Thanksgiving taste palate is not my favorite. It is warm comforting and familiar but really unexciting to me as a cook. The Latin flavors and the recipes for the Cornbread stuffing and Sweet Potato soup provided by Terry Romero are definitely titillating my taste buds. I met Terry (co-author of Veganomicon and author of Viva Vegan) at the Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary's Thanksliving where I volunteered in the kitchen, helping to plate the feast. Terry is warm, funny, appreciative, humble and beautiful...very inspiring! Thank you, Terry for your delish recipes.
With its hit of fresh ginger and the addition of dried apricots, the Cranberry Relish should provide some gustatory party time! I also adore the Pumpkin Cheesecake (Pam Brown's exquisite recipe) and look forward to some sweet indulgence there.
I wish all of you, my dear friends a wonderful Thanksgiving. Happy cooking and eating! It's the perfect time for being grateful for all the people we have in our lives and for all the rich flavors that life offers.
Luv, R
Love to you Roberta and hugs in memory of your brother. I am grateful for your friendship and the time I've spent with your family. xxx Helen
ReplyDelete