Every Sunday morning after a blissfully quiet and solitary hour or so with a cup of coffee and the Sunday Times, I make tofu scramble for my family. It is a comforting and delicious ritual that I thoroughly enjoy and can now perform with ease. It also serves as my husband's alarm clock since the scent of a sizzling onion rarely fails to rouse him from even the deepest, most peaceful slumber.
Contrary to the weekly morning routine when he arrives in the kitchen disgruntled and mumbling a complaint about one thing or another, on Sundays he is happy. "I can't believe I slept this late!" he exclaims, having no recollection of having slept this late every Sunday for the past umpteen years. He delivers a cheerful "Good morning", uncovers the skillet and happily states with surprise, "Oh you made breakfast!", as though it was the first time it ever happened.
Even though he's not one to gush with praise, I know how much he appreciates it and I delight in his utter enjoyment as he lathers yet another piece of toast with tofu cream cheese and promptly wolfs it all down with gusto.
Many devoted egg eaters love this dish and are mystified by its resemblance to "the real thing". Turmeric is the trickster here, converting a white, flavorless slab of tofu into a heap of scrambled yellow deliciousness. And once you have made the spice blend a few times, tofu scramble comes together very easily.
This dish lends itself to a lot of variation and is enhanced by the addition of mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes or whatever is in season. I like the scramble with a lot of veggies in it. Use your own judgment as to quantities I love it with fresh chopped spinach which I stir in just as I turn off the heat at the end of cooking.
Tofu Scramble
1 block Firm Tofu, drained
1 Tbs Olive Oil (Serves 3 or 4)
1 medium Onion, chopped
! small Red Pepper, chopped
1 small Green Pepper, chopped
1 Jalapeno Pepper, chopped****(optional)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil over a low to medium flame and add the chopped onions sauteing them for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, place the tofu between 2 plates and place a weight on top to squeeze water out. This can be done while you go through the next few steps. When a puddle of water is expressed around the block of tofu, spill the water out and turn the whole thing over, replacing the weight on top.
Add the chopped peppers and any other optional veggies to the onions and saute this mixture about 10 minutes till everything is nice and soft.
While the veggies are cooking, make the spice blend by mixing them together in a small bowl.
Crumble the drained tofu into the skillet, breaking it up as you do so and mix it into the veggies.
Add the spice blend and mix it all together.
Fresh herbs and/or chopped spinach can be added at the end of the cooking process.
This can be enjoyed just by itself with toast or home fries. It is also very good in a wrap. We like it spiked with a little of Melinda's hot sauce and some sliced avocado on the side.
****If you've never cooked with jalapeno or other spicy peppers, be careful! The juices can burn. I had the unpleasant experience of touching my nose after chopping one of my first jalapenos and it burned for several minutes afterward. Some chefs recommend wearing rubber gloves. I usually don't but am careful not to touch my face and especially my eyes or nose. Of course, if you don't care for the hot stuff, you can eliminate the jalapeno and cayenne altogether.
I hope you enjoy this dish.
Luv to you all,
R
Roberta, This is a wonderful site. And, of course, being yours, it's appropriately food-centric. After reading your latest entry, I want to approach a total stranger on the street, whisper "Turmeric is the trickster here." and then just hurry away.
ReplyDeleteMichael