Sunday, August 7, 2011

ER /Vicodin Induced Thanksgiving Recipe Creation

So when you've just fallen on your face in your very own bedroom, causing one of your upper incisors to perforate the area just above your upper lip, your husband drives you to the local hospital emergency room.
This was a totally unplanned activity during an evening alone with my honey. But as I wrote the other day, my husband is very good at being very spontaneous, so off we went.

About 2 hours later, a Dr. Lowenstein was (artfully, I hope?) sewing 12 sutures into my inner and outer mouth. My lower face had been numbed completely and by the time the doc began his work, the vicodin had me softly sailing in a very calm sea...like maybe the Caribbean, or somewhere.

And guess what my thoughts turned to? Come on, it's a no brainer, makes total sense, a completely logical segue to the Thanksgiving Dinner Menu!

Somewhere between the second and third stitch, I'm thinking about the main dish...some kind of Tofu Napolean, layered with butternut squash and fresh thyme. Between the fourth and fifth suture, another layer of some kind of hearty grain laced with onions, pistachios, currents, mushrooms, sage. And I think there's gotta be a layer of greens. Maybe broccoli rabe or kale or even brussel sprouts. And then from stitch six through nine, I'm working on the sauce. Stitches nine through twelve prove to be too distracting for menu planning because they are on the inside of my mouth.  That's probably too much information? If so, I apologize.

My lip is swollen, I'm quickly recovering and I'm just so glad to have gotten a head start on Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment