Monday, January 2, 2012

Simplicity at Home, Loving my Family With Tempeh

Now that the holidays are behind us (and this may literally be so, ie: stuck to our behinds, in the form of excess adipose tissue) it's time to get back to reality, to work, to school, to the serious business of life and to follow through on those resolutions to eat better, exercise more, spend less money and floss every night.

I went to a number of parties and we even hosted our own party over these last weeks of the holiday season and I enjoyed so much good food, drink and company, that I feel downright guilty about all the good times I have had. I can't wait to get back to the rigors of every day life...going to bed at 9PM, waking up at 5 AM, writing, going to work, an yes, making breakfast, lunch and dinner for my family.

Have I shared how much I love cooking for my family? Sometimes I don't even realize how much I love it but each day a chunk of my life is given over to the process of planning, buying and preparing food for my beloved husband and daughter. It's not a religious experience or anything. In fact it is quite ordinary, though far from mundane because they deserve so much more than mundane and I do my best to make each meal healthy, pleasing and tasty. And as often as possible, we sit together to enjoy a meal together. Cooking for my family is my daily expression of gratitude to them for putting up with me and all my quirks,farts and character blemishes. They love me anyway. They are my back bone. My home sweet home. My safe harbor. My light. My heart.

I would do anything for them but what I do for them mostly, is cook. It felt really good to cook dinner for them tonight after all the party food I've been making. I'll share what I made because it's one of our favorite simple meals.
Cornmeal Crusted Tempeh Triangles
Broccoli Rabe, sauteed in Olive Oli and Garlic
White Basmati Rice
Green Salad

I used to think that I didn't like Tempeh because of that gamey taste it can have if it isn't well prepared. Then I came across this recipe for Cornmeal Crusted Tempeh in the Candle Cafe Cookbook which included instructions on how to pre bake it as part of the preparation. While some cooks boil it, I prefer to bake it because the gamey taste disappears into the flavors of the marinade. The marinade can be altered according to the recipe it is being prepped for but I have found the marinade below to be flexible, lending itself to a variety of recipes.

Cornmeal Crusted Tempeh
2 pkgs tempeh
3-4 ginger slices
2 Tbs chopped garlic
1/2 cup tamari
1/4 cup water
3 Tbs Maple Syrup
1/3 c Mirin
1/4 c Rice Vinegar
1/2 c Cornmeal
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp Chile Powder
1/2 tsp salt 4 Tbs Veg or Olive Oil
Pre heat oven to 350.
Combine garlic, ginger, maple syrup, water tamari
Cut each block of tempeh into 3 sections and place them into baking dish
Pour marinade over the Tempeh
Cover baking dish with foil and bake 45 minutes
Meanwhile, combine Mirin and rice vinegar in shallow bowl
Combine Cornmeal, red peppe flakes, chile powder and salt in shallow dish
When the tempeh is done and cool enough to handle, cut each section into triangles and slice each triangle in half crosswise making the tiangles thinner.
Heat the oil over medium heat in large (preferable Cast Iron) Skillet
Dredge each triangle in the mirin mix and then coat with cornmeal mix, carefully placing each triangle in the hot oil. (You may have to do this in a few batches)
Fry over medium heat, making sure the Tempeh triangles do not get scorched in the hot oil.
Keep dredging and frying ,and placing each triangle on paper towels to drain off excess oil.
I serve these Tempeh triangles with sliced avocado and it is also great in sandwiches, with tomato, avocado, letuce and veganaise on toast...a "TLT"!

Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Olive Oil

1 large bunch Broccoli Rabe
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Red Pepper flakes (optional)
2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I always par boil Broccoli Rabe. Par boiling removes that extra bitter taste and produces a sweet quality that contrasts with its strong green flavor. Broccoli Rabe is one of my favorite vegetables yet I am often disappointed when I order it in a restaurant because it usually has that super bitter taste that this delightful green can have when its been sauteed without the parboiling step. So! After rinsing,trimming and cutting the Rabe very coursely into large pieces, place in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse immediately in cold water. Heat the oil over low heat, add the garlic and red pepper flakes, if using, and add the Rabe. Saute for 5 minutes, allowing the garlic to cook and the Rabe to absorb the flavors in pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment