We had a snowstorm pre-Halloween! Talk about frost on the pumpkin!
In preparation for any storm, the masses go food shopping, gas up their vehicles,and maybe make a trip to the hardware store for some snow melt or windshield washer fluid. I would be willing to bet that many, while cruising the aisles of the local supermarket are wondering "What am I gonna make that most everyone in the family will like, that is relatively easy and very economical, goes a long way and makes great leftovers?" While this is a rather long list of requirements, I am sure many are ready with the obvious answer...CHILE! - the Perfect Storm food!
I've made many a veg chiles in my day even selling my chile when I was in graduate school at Antioch where I had a little soup concession 3 days a week.
I sold a variety of mostly vegetarian soups for $1.50 a bowl and Nancy Kowalchek (a fellow classmate)sold slices of banana, corn or some other non yeasted bread for 50 cents a slice. In 1982/83, it was a mini money making enterprise, enough to supplement my work study, to help pay my phone and electric bills and yes, buy a pack of cigarettes once or twice a week,( then selling for a mere pittance at $1.00 or so a pack).
Back then I used TVP or texturized vegetable protein which I learned to do when I worked at Arnold's Turtle Restaurant in Greenwich Village. They had a great veg chile that used TVP and I imitated it. TVP is a soy bean product processed into a dry grain roughly the size of barley. When moistened/ cooked in liquid, it becomes the consistency of chopped beef and that's why carnivores love it...Nowadays, I have eliminated the TVP because it really has no taste but more importantly because it is processed and adds "zip" nutrition to our fare.
One of the very simple secrets that my Vegan Chef Mentor and dear friend Pam taught me was to make tons of beans every time I make them and freeze them (in small 3-4 cup containers) for later use. This makes Veg chile a breeze to make...
I hope I can re-capture what and how much I used this time because the chile came out great.
Perfect Storm Black Bean Chile
3 Cups cooked Black Beans
1 28 oz can Organic Diced Tomatoes
1 large Onion, chopped
2 Large Carrots, chopped
3-4 cloves Garlic, chopped small
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Long Red Cayanne Pepper****
1 Tbs Chile Powder
1 Tbs Cumin
Salt and Pepper to Taste
A fistful of fresh cilantro, chopped.
Saute onions, carrots, peppers, garlic nice and slow on a low flame.
for about 20 minutes.
Add spices and tomatoes and simmer on very low for another 20 minutes.
Add beans and saute for about another 15-20 minutes.
When done sprinkle in most of the cilantro leaving some of it for garnishing.
This chile really doesn't need anything but you can top this with vegan sour cream, grated Daiya monterey jack, sliced avocado and add chopped scallions to make a lovely and yummy presentation. Any or all of the above make tasty garnishes.
You can serve this with Vegan Cornbread (ala Pam)....anyone want that recipe?
****I loved this long red hot pepper which I am pretty sure was a cayanne pepper. It made a nice difference in flavor and spiciness and had more of a presence than a jalepeno.
I loved this chile and just might make more today.....
Luv, R
No comments:
Post a Comment