Monday, July 25, 2011

Patty Pans Almost Too Adorable to Eat

Growing my own vegetables for the first time in many years is a mellow kind of thrill. Between what is coming out of my garden and what I can get at the local (Woodstock ) farmer's market, the inspiration to whip up great, vegan meals is as abundant as the produce itself.
Menu, Sunday, July 24, 2011
Stuffed Patty Pan Squash
French Green Beans w/Lemon juice and Tamari
Cucumber Salad w/Fresh Dill
Sliced Heirloom Tomatoes w/Olive Oil. Salt and Pepper
Dessert: Fresh Sliced Peaches and Sugarplums
The compact yellow patty pan squashes that are proliferating right now in my garden, were the muses for tonight's meal. I gave (about 6) of them a slight coat of olive oil and roasted them whole in the (350 degrees) toaster oven. (Yes! my toaster oven is my summer kitchen...where I roast everything from asparagus to potatoes to tempeh, tofu, beets,nuts and seeds, you name it....)
While those beautiful babies were roasting, I started some brown jasmine rice and got to work on the rest of the stuffing. I was in a "use only what's in the fridge" type of mindset which is so super easy in our northeastern summers....what's in the fridge is fresh and local!!!
1 ear of corn (kernals sliced off), 1 small globe (lovely light purple) eggplant diced, 1 medium onion diced, 3-4 small cloves (Bob Lavagi) garlic diced, 3 small heirloom tomatoes diced, 1/2 cup thai basil leaves, chopped, 2/3 cup vegan (Daiya) cheddar cheese.
I sauteed the veggies, starting with the onion and garlic, then adding the rest as they got chopped. When all veggies were tender, I added 1 cup of the cooked rice and the vegan cheddar and mixed it all together.
 After letting the patty pans cool, I cut a quarter sized hole in the top of each and using a melon baller (thank you Linda Lalita) to scoop out the inside, leaving the shell. Chop and mix the scooped squash into the veggie mixture, then stuff the shell with the stuffing...best method, use your just washed hands..Pack extra stuffing on top and then bake at 300 for 20 or so minutes until the cheddar is melted and the squash is heated through.
Tonight I blanched (throw into boiling water for 2 minutes, then rinse quickly with cold water to stop the cooking) haricort vert, my home grown,deliciously sweet skinny sting beans and served them with fresh lemon juice and tamari...so simple so the green bean itself can shine.
I served the above with some cucumber salad* (made yesterday) and a plate of sliced local heirloom tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.
It was all delish, all local. all vegan....
There's nothing like being in my kitchen.....I send my love out to all....
*Cucumber salad recipe to follow

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on starting a blog- having had the gift of eating your inspired, amazing meals, I'd say we're all blessed by your sharings!

    ReplyDelete