Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Immitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery-Pamerta's Sweedish Cabbage Soup

Last week, I had a short break between my Yoga class and the private Yoga session I was about to teach and I needed a little something to eat. So I went to my favorite eating establishment, The Garden Cafe and ordered some soup for breakfast.
Have I mentioned that I love soup for breakfast? It is the perfect breakfast food for me....savory, hearty, warming and filling and unlike many American breakfasts, does not include bread. This equals more nutrition and energy and less unessesary carbs and the consequent drop in energy as the blood sugar plummets.
I ordered Pam's Sweedish Cabbage Soup and promptly wolfed it down. It was flavorful, creamy, substantial and delicious. When I asked Pam if she could make it for me every day for the rest of my life, she said "you can easily make it yourself"....the secret...cook down the cabbage and onions for "a long time" and at the end, swirl in some vegan sour cream.
Unable to unleash my mind or my taste buds from thoughts of this soup, I picked up the necessary ingredients on my very next food shopping trip. I began with trepidation. Can I get it right? Can I make it taste as good as Pam did? 
My other thought was that I couldn't possibly blog about someone else's soup, that this would be a kind of cheating, even stealing !
But then I thought of one of the books I am now reading. The Greater Journey by David McCullough is a historical, informative and delightfully readable account of the experiences of many prominent American writers, artists, educators and doctors who flocked to Paris in the mid to late 1800's to enjoy the culture, art, theatre and  music of the time and to learn about the advances in education and medicine being practiced there.
Student artists were wowed by the art they experienced in Paris and they flocked to the Louvre to view the works of the Great Masters. A very popular method of learning the art of painting among student painters was to spend days weeks or months at the Louvre where they copied the paintings of the Great Masters.
 I was initially surprised that copying the amazing art works in the Louvre was not only allowed but encouraged as a means of improving the skill of a novice. But when I began thinking about how we humans learn, I realized that not only is imitating a master one of the best ways of learning how to do something, it is also a time honored tradition practiced in many trades and in the arts.   And just as the student painter learns about light, contrast, form and color from the master painter, so does the student cook learn about flavor, texture and presentation from the master chef.
So I attempted to re-create this soup without the recipe, just based on the few tips, my taste buds and my instincts about proportions and cooking times and came up this here soup. Thanks Pam.
I love your food and strive to re-create this soup's wonderful flavor here:

Pamerta's Sweedish Cabbage Soup

1 small head Green Cabbage, cored and chopped
1 medium Onion, chopped
2 Tbs Organic Canola Oil
1 Tbs Sea Salt (or Kosher Salt)
4-5 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 28 oz can organic diced Tomatoes
6-8 cups Homemade (or not) Veggie Broth
1/2 cup Vegan Sour Cream
Lots of Black Pepper
2 (or more to taste) Tbs Agave

Heat the oil in your favorite soup pot.
Add the chopped cabbage and onions stirring around a few minutes.
Cover the pot and set flame very low.
Let the veggies sweat and soften in the pot for about 20 minutes
Keep checking to make sure theres no sticking or burning
Add the potatoes, canned tomatoes and veggie broth.
Bring to a boil and turn heat down
Cover and cook for 20 more minutes until potatoes are soft.
Add the agave and pepper
Wisk the sour cream in a separate bowl with some of the broth from the soup pot.
Add the wisked mix to the soup.
Taste to adjust seasonings.
More agave, salt or pepper may be needed.
Heat gently.
For wonderful food, check out the menu for The Garden Cafe on The Green Enjoy!

Luv, R

No comments:

Post a Comment