So a little insight into how I plan my meals. First, I think about what I have in the fridge and/ or cupboard. Second, I think about what I may get easily that is in season. I knew I wanted to use the fresh corn I had in the fridge, and to me, there's nothing better than barbqued corn on the cob. So then what to do for a protein? a green? Got inspired to cook the sausages because Bubbies sauerkraut (which we had never tried) was on sale.(it was so yummy with the dijon and sausage!) The beets came out of the garden today and the greens were ample and lush.
Dinner Menu July 26, 2011
Barbecued (Field Roast Vegan) Sausages
Bubbies Sauerkraut and Dijon Mustard
Barbecued Corn on the Cob with Olive Oil and Fresh Tarragon
Roasted (Home grown) Beets and Beet Greens with Garlic and Umeboshi Vinegar
Field Roast Sausages are great. They come in 3 flavors...apple, italian and chipotle.
Tonight we had the chipotle because those were on sale this week. Just grill till lightly browned.
To barbeque corn, I strip off the dark green outer husks only, leaving a layer of tender light green husk - just enough to cover the kernals. I then carefully peel that down to remove the silk. Then brush the corn with a light coating of olive oil and pat on whatever chopped herbs you have available. I used some home grown tarragon today. (The other day, thai basil, last week, fresh dill.) Re-cover the corn with the thin layer of husk. Use 2 thin strips of the outer husk, tied together to tie around the corn (like a ribbon) to keep the husk on. Throw it on the barbie for about 10 minutes, keep turning and keep it up away from direct flame. Very sweet roasted flavor...and being covered in the husk while cooking enhances the corn flavor.
I have to credit Lisa Cooper for the beet recipe. It is divine in taste and simplicity. You can either roast or boil the beets...I prefer roasting, because the flavor is better and they are really easy to peel after roasting. Wrap each beet in aluminum foil. Place on a sheet and roast for about 40 minutes on 400. Yes, I use my toaster oven....keeps the kitchen much cooler and uses less energy. While beets are roasting, wash and chop the beet greens, mince garlic...I like a lot, like 3-4 cloves for a big colander full of chopped greens. Heat some extra virgin olive oil in a pan (I use cast iron and will tell you all about my PAN soon). Add the garlic and saute for a minute, add the greens and keep stirring for a few minutes till the JUST wilt moment....Do not cook too much. Turn off heat.
Let the beets cool, remove from foil, rinse off skins, slice or cube and add them to the greens. Turn on heat, add umeboshi vinegar..sprinkle it on and don't use too much, it's salty, so try out a little and add more if you like.
Thanks Lisa, I love this recipe and make it all the time...some day, my daughter might try it.....
Luv to you all...
No comments:
Post a Comment