Mon July 25, 2001 - Dinner Menu
-"You'll never guess"Stuffed Patty Pan and Zucchini
-Home grown broccoli sauteed with garlic and extra virigin olive oil
-Local Heirloom Tomato Salad with Fresh Homegrown Basil and minced red onion
-Bread Alone Peasant Bread (to mop up the tomato salad juice, YUM!)
The Stuffed Patty Pans of last night were so good that I decided to roast more patty pans and a large zucchini
to use up the rest of the stuffing. I scooped out the seeds and filled with the stuffing (brown rice, eggplant, onion, tomato, fresh corn, thai basil( Woodstock farm market) (-see blog of 7/25 for complete recipe experience.)
The squash was delicious, the flavors of the summer vegetables and herbs are just made for eachother..what else can be said....
I blanched the Broccoli (from our own garden, yeah!) in boiling water for 2 minutes, then ran cold water over it in a colander to stop the cooking. I then sauteed it in good olive oil and fresh local garlic...yum, one of my favorite all time preparations for broccoli .
I sliced up one red and one green heirloom tomato, alternating the colored slices on an oval plate.
I then sprinkled the toms with olive oil, diced red onion and chopped basil (grown right on my deck). Add fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste...
This was a beautiful summer meal...we loved how the crusty simple bread so perfectly lent itself to the tomato basil juices...Is there an OMG called for here?
And of course, it's always something of a miracle when my daughter likes the meal...I could tell she did, not because she said it was good but just because she ate quietly and without complaint.
Why do you blanch the broccoli before sauteing it? Inquiring minds want to know...
ReplyDeleteBlanching soften the broccoli just a little,allows it absorb the flavors of whatever you're cooking it with and preserves the color and crispness. The cold water rinsing is key to preserving bright green color.
ReplyDelete